Friday, April 13, 2012

Parker


So most of you know Parker has a learning disability with his Auditory processing and working memory. I have been grateful for finding this out since he is able to get help at school where he needs it, but I always felt there was something else but couldn't quite put my finger on it. Well, recently I was talking with his special ed teacher at school and she suggested that I get him tested to see if he has Aspergers. If I did that he would receive a lot more specialized help at school. So last week Parker had his appointment and we met with the councilor and after the first meeting she wasn't sure, she wanted to talk and meet with him more. Yesterday we went back and she told me that after reviewing his file after we left, that she wanted to give him the diagnosis of having Aspergers and an Anxiety disorder NOS (not otherwise specified). It is really common to have an Anxiety disorder with Aspergers.
So there it is, what does this mean? This means that Parker with be able to get special services at his school that will specialized in his way of learning. We are happy with this, we are excited to be able to get Parker the help he needs to tap in to all his potential with his learning and developing tools to deal with his anxiety and coping skills to work with his Aspergers. We have talked with him and he is excited that his brain is wired differently than the typical person. I am so proud of him, he is such a wonderful kid. He isn't going to have an easy road ahead of him but he is excited.

0 comments: